The Franciscan friary called Moor Abbey is east of Galbally village and overlooked by the Galtee Mts. Founded in 1471, the friary was suppressed in 1540 but the new owner, the Earl of Desmond left the friars in peace until the friary was burnt in 1569 and 1570. Returning in 1645, the friars were expelled by the Cromwellians, but returned in 1658, and inhabited the friary until 1748. Only the friary church and tower remain today.